If you're like plenty of Fernandina Beach citizens, you take Vitamin C. This sought-after, wide spread vitamin is praised for its antioxidant function and part in the support of a healthy immune system (1). But did you know that nutrition
research into Vitamin C has revealed its task in forming bone and protecting it? Amelia Chiropractic Clinic wishes to familiarize you with the nutritional gains, and how Fernandina Beach chiropractic patients can take advantage of this to augment their care for spinal pain management.
- Vitamin C is essential for collagen formation and normal bone development. A possible protective role of Vitamin C for bone health in older men as higher vitamin C intake is associated with lower 4-year bone loss in elderly men. (2)
- Administration of 1,000 mg of ascorbic acid Vitamin C together with 400 IU of alpha-tocopherol could be useful in preventing or aiding in the treatment of age-related osteoporosis and bone loss. (3)
- In a study of 277 women who were regular Vitamin C supplement users for an average of 12.4 years with calcium and/or estrogen, researchers measured bone density. They found that Vitamin C supplement use appears to have a beneficial effect on levels of bone mineral density, especially among postmenopausal women using concurrent estrogen therapy and calcium supplements. (4)
- Most experts recommend vitamin D, calcium, exercise and bisphosphonates to keep bones healthy, says Dr. Kenneth Gabbay of Baylor College of Medicine, who further states that "Vitamin C is never mentioned, whereas it's likely an equally important element for maintaining strong healthy bones." (5)
- Vitamin C deficiency is an under-diagnosed contributor to degenerative disc disease (DDD) in the elderly. Researchers explain that once DDD has begun, accompanying tissue degeneration may further increase Vitamin C requirements for the collagen synthesis necessary for healthy bone in the affected patient. This creates a range of issues that potentially accelerates and contributes to further disc degeneration and low back pain. (6) Fernandina Beach is no different; Vitamin C deficiency is a contributor to DDD and supplementation may be a helpful addition to your diet.
Since the human body doesn't produce or retain Vitamin C, it must be taken daily. Just like observing calorie intake while eating out, noting your intake of Vitamin C is important. If you discover that your current diet is incomplete in sources of natural Vitamin C, you will decide on supplementation. The volume of Vitamin C necessary for Fernandina Beach chiropractic patients will vary based on several factors. Circumstances such as weight, age, and gender are important; so are lifestyle aspects including pregnancy, or smoking.
- For the average adult male, 90 mg/day of Vitamin C is recommended. (7)
- For the average adult female, 75 mg/day of Vitamin C is recommended. (7)
Consult your Fernandina Beach chiropractor to determine the appropriate daily dosage of Vitamin C for you to protect your bones and enhance your bone mineral density throughout your life.
"This information and website content is not intended to diagnose, guarantee results, or recommend specific treatment or activity. It is designed to educate and inform only. Please consult your physician for a thorough examination leading to a diagnosis and well-planned treatment strategy. See more details on the DISCLAIMER
page. Content is reviewed by Dr. James M. Cox I