You want to avoid this!
This occurred in an osteoporosis patient after he simply bent forward to pick something up off the floor.
Avoid osteoporosis. Build your bone mass with nutrition. Exercise. Consult with your Fernandina Beach chiropractor.
GENTLE CHIROPRACTIC WORKS WITH YOU TO CONTROL OSTEOPOROSIS RELATED PAIN
Osteoporosis is a disease of youth. You read right. Osteoporosis is a disease of young people. In Fernandina Beach osteoporosis affects many people in the community, putting them at-risk for fractures from falls and brittle bones. In the US, 40 million people either have osteoporosis or are at risk for osteoporosis. (1) Fernandina Beach osteoporosis sufferers are careful to mind their nutrition, exercise and fall prevention strategies to stay healthy.
Osteoporosis causes trouble in older humans, but osteoporosis starts in young humans. We humans build bone mass when we are young. We need adequate intake of calcium, vitamin D, magnesium, zinc and minerals as young people to build a large bone mass, one from which osteoporosis can draw as we age. If we don't build enough bone mass in our youth, we are at risk for osteoposis-related problems as we age. We all - yes, men and women everywhere and in Fernandina Beach - lose bone mass as we age! Men lose their bone mass at half the rate that women do (2), but they do lose the bone mass as well.
So what do we do when we find ourselves with osteoporosis-related issues in Fernandina Beach? Consult Amelia Chiropractic Clinic about nutrition, exercise and chiropractic to help.
First, nutrition for osteoporosis. Amelia Chiropractic Clinic would like to share information on Vitamin D, calcium, magnesium and zinc that are essential to bone.
Depending on your age and fracture history, your intake according to the NIH-sponsored Institute for Medicine (3) is recommended as follows:
- 200 IU - 600 IU of vitamin D per day
- 1000 mg to 1200 mg of calcium per day
Because magnesium deficiency reportedly alters bone and mineral metabolism (11), magnesium supplementation is recommended (4):
- 400mg to 420mg for men aged 19 and up
- 310mg to 320mg for women aged 19 and up.
Zinc may stimulate bone formation and inhibit bone loss (5), so zinc supplementation for osteoporosis care is recommended (6):
- 11mg - adult males
- 8mg - adult females (11mg pregnant, 12 mg lactating).
Second, exercise for osteoporosis.
Exercise reminds the bones that they have a function. They must support the body in motion. Walking reminds the legs that they must be strong. Weight-bearing exercise builds muscle strength. The goal of exercise for osteoporosis is to improve stability, increase muscle strength, decrease immobility issues, and prevent falls which lead to fractures. (7)
- Circuit exercises will improve mobility and health-related quality of life of elderly women with osteoporosis and a history of vertebral fractures. (8)
- Regular weight-bearing exercise in children and adolescents result in a 1% to 8% improvement in bone strength. In premenopausal women with high exercise compliance, improvements ranging from 0.5% to 2.5% are reported. (9)
- Tai Chi is mentioned as an increasingly popular weight bearing mind-body exercise to positively impact bone mineral density and improve postural control in postmenopausal women. (10) Surely there is a Tai Chi class nearby in Fernandina Beach. Fun and good for you!
Exercises for osteoporosis, like nutritional supplement recommendations, drugs prescriptions and chiropractic treatment plans, must be individualized taking into account the osteoporotic person's current state. The Fernandina Beach chiropractic team at Amelia Chiropractic Clinic will individualize a plan just for you.
Third, chiropractic at Amelia Chiropractic Clinic for osteoporosis care. In Fernandina Beach osteoporosis patients benefit from chiropractic by the establishment of a plan to manage osteoporosis with your chiropractor just for you.
Chiropractic focuses on
- helping you maintain as much spinal mobility as possible
- counseling you on ways to increase bone mass density
- providing gentle spinal adjusting to support healing of any fractures, like compression fractures
Chiropractic osteoporosis treatment
at Amelia Chiropractic Clinic is comfortable and to your tolerance. You may lie on your stomach or on your back while the doctor stretches your spine and restores its range of motion as much as possible.
Amelia Chiropractic Clinic is very much aware of the fragility of your bones if you have osteoporosis. Amelia Chiropractic Clinic understands that you are osteoporosis-related fracture-prone and wants to help you prevent fractures and/or heal quickly from any osteoporosis-related issues you may acquire.
Contact Amelia Chiropractic Clinic today to help manage your osteoporosis.
- http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/bone/Osteoporosis/osteoporosis_ff.asp (sourced 12/21/10)
- Slemenda et al: Long-term bone loss in men: effects of genetic and environmental factors. Ann Intern Med. 1992 Aug 15;117(4):286-91.
- Institute of Medicine. Food and Nutrition Board. Dietary Reference Intakes: Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Vitamin D and Fluoride. National Academy Press. Washington, DC, 1999.
- Sinaki et al. The role of exercise in the treatment of osteoporosis. Curr Osteoporos Rep. 2010 Sep;8(3):138-44.
- Bergland et al. Effect of exercise on mobility, balance, and health-related quality of life in osteoporotic women with a history of vertebral fracture: a randomized, controlled trial. Osteoporos Int. 2010 Nov 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Nikander et al. Targeted exercise against osteoporosis: A systematic review and meta-analysis for optimizing bone strength throughout life. BMC Med. 2010 Jul 21;8:47.
- Wayne et al. Tai Chi for osteopenic women: design and rationale of a pragmatic randomized controlled trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2010 Mar 1;11:40.
- Rude et al. Magnesium deficiency induces bone loss in the rat. Miner Electrolyte Metab. 1998;24(5):314-20.